The Reverend M. Douglas Harvey of Pawleys Island died peacefully in his home May 15 surrounded by family due to complications related to Parkinson’s.
Born September 22, 1940 in Lynchburg, VA, Doug was the son of the late Bill and Frances Stratton Harvey and older brother to the late Kitty Mauldin (Jess).
Doug served both active and reserve duty in the Marine Corps and attended the University of Richmond. He met the love of his life Anne Morrison in 1965 on a blind date and married her later that year. The couple began life together in Richmond, VA where Doug started his civilian career in banking.
Relocating to SC in 1975, Doug continued in banking until becoming a furniture manufacturer’s rep traveling the Carolinas and Mid-Atlantic states. He and Anne eventually expanded the company to include their 2 sons: Gray (Andrea) and Blaine (Heather).
After a lifetime of service in the Lord’s name Doug followed his call to ministry and was ordained by The Anglican Church in 2003, gaining the nickname “Deacon Doug”. He has always been known as a kind, gentle spirit who listened with an open and loving heart. He responded with truth and peace and often found himself ministering strangers who approached him at the post office or grocery store. His quick wit often broke the ice or bridged a gap with folks he encountered.
He is survived by Anne, Gray, Blaine, his sister-in-law Deborah Bryant (Jay), four grandchildren Liza Campbell (Drew), Lucy, Wave, and Curren plus his great-granddaughter Margot Campbell and an extended family. His favorite people called him “Pops”.
His family thanks Amedysis Hospice and his many caregivers including Dana Funny and Victorious Graham. Doug enjoyed many long-term friends who stayed by his side in health and sickness.
A celebration of his life will be held May 24 at 2pm at The Abbey at Pawleys Island where Doug served for many years. Family and friends will gather at The Abbey afterwards.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to The Abbey at Pawleys Island 46 Gathering Lane Pawleys Island, SC 29585 or Friendship Place 1905 Front Street Georgetown, SC 29440.